skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Week Three: November 16-18, 2009
Monday morning I received my patient information and was suddenly very nervous and did not feel confident enough to walk into my patient’s room. My patient was a twenty-seven year old male (might I add, the youngest patient I have ever cared for…ever) and of course, the first procedure ordered was sure enough-a good, old fashioned, bed bath. Knowing he was very alert and oriented to his surroundings, I was beyond freaked out, feeling he would critique my every move. After I had introduced myself and explained that I would be assisting him in his morning bed bath-he exchanged a few inappropriate remarks and I tried my best to remain calm, collected, and professional. As the bed bath ended, I felt like the two of us had become more at ease knowing that the most uncomfortable procedure of the day was now out of the way. I quickly got to know him during the physical assessment. He was very willing to answer my questions and I soon found out that he had been admitted for a decubitus ulcer. He shared with me that he had been in and out of foster homes growing up and also had a history of methamphetamine and alcohol abuse, homelessness, and gang-related violence. He told me that he happened to be paraplegic as a result to numerous gunshot wounds he had suffered from four years ago. I really enjoyed sharing stories and laughs with him. He expressed feeling lonely and bored and I made certain he knew I was here, at his side, to get him whatever he needed to feel more comfortable. At one point an engineering technician needed to fix my patient’s television and it was necessary he moved my patient’s wheelchair. As my patient saw this he said with a smile, “Hey man, go easy on the wheels-my Lexus doesn’t have insurance.” I will never forget him because of the way he stayed positive and light-hearted about everything throughout the day. I am so glad I was able to care for him and my thoughts will continue to be with him. The rest of the week was full of not-so-exciting things like bed-baths and accuchecks (A hand-held device that measures blood glucose). I can’t wait to see what next week has in store for me.
Katie VNSROP
No comments:
Post a Comment